Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to OSx 10.4 machine not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhogaj31

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have a little problem on any Mac OSx 10.4 (Tiger) machines I have built.

For some strange reason I am unable to telnet to them, which I need to do because of the geographical locations of alot of my users machines.

I also have OSx machines running up 10.3.8, which I CAN telnet to with no problem, telnetd is running on these machines.

On the 10.4 machines via a terminal session, I have checked

% ps -ax | more

to see if telnetd is running and it is not.

I can see a man page for telnetd and if I type -

% which telnetd

I found

/usr/libexec/telnetd

I have checked in /etc/inetd.conf to see if there is a comment in front of the line that says telnet and there is not, so it should be starting telnetd as a process when the machine boots up, but it doesn't.

I tried starting telnetd manually by typing -

% sudo telnetd -debug (as in the man page)

but the cursor just goes down one line and I don't get a prompt, it just hangs there as if it is trying to do something but just hangs between prompts for about an hour now.

What am I doing wrong? Any help much appreciated.

Dumb question - why are you using telnet!?! are you mad?!? Are you hoping someone will hack into your machines?

What's wrong with SSH? Not only is it secure, you can turn it on through the preferences panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back