Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to OPT81C

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkfuzzbucket

Technical User
Jan 28, 2004
AU
If I connect a term server to my 81C I will have to connect a port to each CPU and access the different port every day that the CPU's switch over.
Is there any way of connecting the terminal server or an IP connection so I do not have to do this.
Step by step guide (and connection would be appreciated)

if you use the TTY port from SDI or QSDI ,you will have a permanent connection to active CP
the same is with IP ,just connect with RLOGIN to active ELAN

RLOGIN ? Can you get more specific? Are you using a regular Telnet session? Or do you use special software? Any NTP reference would be helpfull.

Mark

If you connect a termserver to an SDI port you don't have to use RLOGIN or E-LAN.

The answer is already in the previous postes but i'll try to explain it...

There are 2 ways to get what you want (Not to connect to a different ports every day).

1. With a telnet connection to the active ELAN IP-adress. (With terminal software witch support RLOGIN(UNIX login protocol, i believe)). The telnet ports start at 513.
1 problem is that not mutch windows based terminal software supports RLOGIN.

2. The second way is to connect to a normal TTY port and not to the maintenance ports of each CPU. Such a TTY port usually is created by a SDI or QSDI card and these ports should be found at the I/O pannel of one of the CPUs. The ports usually are DB9-connectors but NOT RS232-serial ports. The NTP will tell you witch NT-cable you should use.

Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back