Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to a single user mode server

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaife

MIS
Mar 16, 2010
EU
Hi
I would like to take down a T1000,T2000,T5120 into a single user mode.
Since I don't have a console or ALOM to these servers I would like to have a telnet access into the server after its in single user mode.
What do I need to do ?
Is it possible to add more services to the single user mode ?
Thanks

It is possible to customize the services to get telnet in a particular mode, but the number of services required to get to telnet (*many* network related services) means you will be damn near in multi-user mode anyway, and would not be safe for installing patches which require single user mode.

Look at svcadm (on Solaris 10) you can examine a service and see the dependencies it has to get to a running state. You also have to check the dependencies it requires to ensure each of their dependencies are met.

It is vastly better to get a console or ALOM set up to get this done.

You should look into getting a terminal server like a cyclades or I think cisco makes one. Really the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back