Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet times out over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNStormy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
BM
Wierd problem here, we have two satelite offices that run telnet sessions to our AIX box over a VPN.

After 10 mins or so of inactivity, the session will be disconnected.

I've checked the FW settings for the telnet sessions and there's no timeouts configured for telnet sessions so I can only assume the Server is disconnecting these sessions...

Is there anywhere on AIX that stores connection parameters such as type of connection/timeout etc ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Justin

One guess -- look at the user's environment settings. Look for a "timeout" entry. If you find it - delete it. That might be the culprit.

We use telnet over VPN's all day long to many remote offices. We never experience auto-disconnects.

not sure of your connection to the remote office, but interference on the line will cause it to happen.

hi,

you can check the tcp timeout keep alive parameter , normally default is 2hrs , whether thats changed i.e
no -a | grep tcp

tcp_keepidle normally 14400 2hrs
(man no for more info)

Other thing you can look at is , have you got any other servers on the local lan not going via VPN if so connect to that server see if it timesout if it doesn't then it could be VPN / firewall .

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back