Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

madra

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
GB
Where in AIX is timeout set for a telnet session ?

We want to keep each session open indefinately.

thanks

madra

I think telnet will remain open indefinitely as long as you don't have either of these environment variables set:
TMOUT
TIMEOUT

Check your login files (~/.profile, /etc/profile, etc.) for these entries.

The TMOUT and TIMEOUT variables will only come into play if you sit at an idle shell prompt for the designated time period.

If you're connecting through a firewall, there's usually a timeout on the firewall for tracking sessions. If there's no traffic on a connection within the timeout period, the firewall drops the connection to free up memory for tracking active connections. To both your telnet client and the telnet server it will appear as if the other dropped the connection.

If you're able to use PuTTY as your telnet client (it can do straight telnet as well as ssh), there's a setting that can be configured to send null packets on a periodic basis as a "keepalive".

Another option, on the AIX side, is to look at the "no" command's man page, particularly the options starting with "tcp_keep".

- Rod

IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

A Simple Code for Posting on the Web

There is also a timeout setting for the login prompt. See usw stanza in /etc/security/login.cfg (attribute logintimeout).

The default is "logintimeout = 60". You'd think that setting it to zero would mean no timeout, but it uses the default of 60 seconds also. I set it to a large number: 3000000 i.e. more than one month - close enough to forever to me.

There's a tool to do this, saves you editing the config file manually (and getting it wrong or messing up the file ;-))

Code:
chsec -f /etc/security/login.cfg -s usw -a logintimeout=3000000

HTH,

p5wizard

thanks for you replies

A bit further discussion with the customer and it could well be the RF terminals and their firmware.

Also, found that it is a known issue with AIX5.3 and APAR IY894729 (TCP keepalive issue) in TL5 SP3 or TL6 resolves it.

thanks again

Does the timeout setting presented above work with CDE sessions as well?

I set the logintimeout=15 ...... After 15 minutes I wasnt logged out, but rather the terminal was locked. How do I go about enabling auto log of a idle session?

-FrankieAIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back