Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet session ---- AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohmin

Technical User
Jun 13, 2005
US
Guys,
When i am connected to an AIX server through telnet and I remain inactive for certain time, the telnet session ends by itself.

I guess its a network parameter setting that has to do with this. Pl help me with the parameter that controls the length of inactive session and if we can set this to infinity?

Thanks,
Moh.

Enforcing Automatic Logoff
Another valid security concern results from users leaving their accounts unattended for a lengthy period of time. This situation allows an intruder to take control of the user's terminal, potentially compromising the security of the system.

To prevent this type of potential security hazard, you can enable automatic logoff on the system. To do this, edit the /etc/security/.profile file to include an automatic logoff value for all users, as in the following example:

TMOUT=600 ; TIMEOUT=600 ; export readonly TMOUT TIMEOUT
The number 600, in this example, is in seconds, which is equal to 10 minutes. However, this method will only work from the shell.

While the previous action allows you to enforce an automatic logoff policy for all users, system users can bypass some restrictions by editing their individual .profile files. To completely implement an automatic logoff policy, take authoritative action by providing users with appropriate .profile files, preventing write-access rights to these files.

I got this from IBM:

To check current timeout (note: time is in ½ seconds):

test:/home/root (1000)#no -a | grep keepidle
tcp_keepidle = 14400

To change to 8 hours:

test:/etc (1001)#no -o tcp_keepidle=57600

To keep the change, the command has to be put in /etc/rc.net:

#Change telnet timeout from 2 hours to 8 hours
no -o tcp_keepidle=57600

Also, there is no way to turn this off, only extend the timeout period.

The problem probably is TMOUT or TIMEOUT variable, like ogniemi said... It´s easy to see... simply type:

# echo $TMOUT
or
# echo $TIMEOUT

If returns no value, it´s not set at all.. so you shuld not have any problem...
If returns a value, it will be the number of iddle seconds before automagically logoff...rsrsrs

Best Regards
HTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back