Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet service is disabled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

panku

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
IN
I am not able to log into my server(redhat7.x) from any of the machines through telnet even ftp is not working..i don't have much knowlege of linux i am just a beginer.

so can anybody help about this !!

Pankaj

Hi,

If it has never worked then it's probably the xinetd config.
When you install most Redhat xinetd controlled servers (incl. telnet-server and wu-ftpd), the config file within the rpm is shipped with a setting that leaves the service disabled. This is to stop naive users just installing everything and leaving their box open to hackers. You have to tell the system you want to enable the service by editing the matching file in the /etc/xinetd.d/ directory - i.e. /etc/xinetd.d/telnet & /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd .

All you do is make sure that the line in those files that says 'disable=yes' is changed to 'disable=no'. Then restart xinetd with '/sbin/service xinetd restart'.

You may then find that the redhat firewall is stopping inbound traffic so go to a console window and as root enter the command 'lokkit'. Follow the screens to configure that firewall to allow inbound port 23 (telnet) and port 21 (ftp).

You must, of course, have the xinetd package (rpm) installed and set to be active :

/sbin/chkconfig --levels 2345 xinetd on

Actually you can also use 'chkconfig' or 'ntsysv' to control the xinetd services themselves if you don't fancy editing the config files.

Rgds

I had a similar problem after installing Redhat 7.1, it turned out to be the firewall installation was set to high security and was blocking all incoming trafic. Use a command called "lokkit" to set the firewall preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back