Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixjr

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
How do i restrict a particular user for telnet Access? For FTP we have /etc/ftpusers right,Like for telnet ?

Thanks in Advance

For telnet, you can restrict by ip address.
Good Luck

Thanks for the Answer, but i am not quit clear though.. How do i restrict by ip address if the client uses DHCP?

Thanks

If you wish to disable all telnet access, disable telnet by removing the entry from /etc/inetd.conf.

If you wish to enable/disable access from specific IP addresses, ensure that telnetd is run via tcpd (in /etc/inetd.conf), and use the /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} files to control access.

If you wish to enable/disable telnet access by specific users, separately from console login access, you can use the /etc/usertty file, as described in the `login` manpage.

If you wish to enable/disable all login access by specific users, you can set their login shell to an invalid shell (e.g a script that outputs a message). If you wish to still permit them to have ftpaccess, you will need to add the filename of the script to /etc/shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back