Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet problem running Procomm with XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcavour

Technical User
Sep 21, 2006
US
Has anybody seen a thread safety problem running Procomm with Windows XP when multiple instances of procomm [telnet mode] are executing scripts? I am experiencing [blue]COMWRITE[/blue] and/or [blue]TRANSMIT[/blue] conflicts between different telnet sessions running my scripts. I have noticed characters from an output command that should belong in procomm session#1 to be appearing in the procomm session#2 window. I am also experiencing response conflicts between these sessions. The scripts in both sessions are busy reading and writing to my Telecom system, so there is a lot of activity that could happen simultaneously; but what intrigues me is that since there are two separate procomms the environment variables should be unique and hopefully so should be the embedded drivers.

What leads me to think this is indeed an XP "telnet" problem is that the same scripts run OK in a Windows NT machine. Also, the same scripts run OK in XP if one session is RS-232 and the other is Telnet. I have also tried what Knob suggested in his website and changed the compatibility mode, but no affect.

Any suggestions or work-arounds would be appreciated, since my development encompasses the use of up to 8 telnet sessions running simultaneously.

Thanks!

I've seen a similar problem (I never run more then 2 or 3 instances of Procomm at a time though.)

Not sure what caused it, or why one day it just went away, but it's been about 6 months since I've experienced that problem.

Try downloading the file at the link below and see if it solves your problem. I got this from the developer of ASPECT and has cured problems a few people saw when running multiple telnet windows, although I think it was more crash-related than information bleeding from one session to another.

I don't know what to say Knob! Thanks! It is working right now with 5 telnet Procomm sessions [pc3] blasting commands and reading the responses without a single character bleed into another session! I have sent over 5000 commands without a problem, where as before, within 30 or 50 I would see the information bleeding.

As I had mentioned, I ran my stuff with windows NT earlier without a problem, but never successfully with XP.

[blue]This file definitely addresses the problem with multiple telnet windows in a XP environment as it did in my case.[/blue]

Very valuable information for all users in this forum! Thank you very much!! [thumbsup2]

Thanks KNOB. I have this problem a few years and it's solved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back