Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet Newbe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

golson

MIS
Jan 22, 2002
US
For some reason I can not telnet to the wan interface of my router? I can however telnet to the lan interface and configure the router.. Is there somthing that needs to be turned on to allow telnet config from the wan interface on a cisco 1700 (TI Wan card)? I do not have any access lists assigned to the vty section of the config, just a password.

Thanks,

Gary

Maybe the location you're telnetting from has no route for WAN IP subnet. If you traceroute to the WAN address from where you are telnetting, does it reach the router?

An ACL on the WAN interface would block you, also.

I can telnet to my mail server on port 25 using the wan ip of my router so I would assume that the route is good.
I do not have any acl's on the wan interface.

Is there a firewall in the way blocking either the traffic to or back from the WAN IP address?

if you traceroute to that address does it fails? where it fails?

do you have any ACLs on that router that are applied to outgoing traffic on another interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back