Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet mail.domain.com 25 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bn2hunt

MIS
May 15, 2003
US
I have just installed windows 2003 server on a pc and I am trying to send an email from one program that uses our smpt server to send the email. I am getting an error that says it cannot connect to the smtp server.

To test the connection I ran the following command from a command prompt :

telnet mail.domain.com 25.

I am getting error :

connection to mail.domain.com ... counld not connect to the host on port 25: connect failed.

If I run the command on a windows xp pc it works fine. Does anyone have any idea what setting I might need to get this working?

Thanks

DDNWolff

Anyone have any fixes for this? I just started running into this problem myself.

Our problem ended up being that the Mcafee Viruscan was blocking port 25. To check if that is what is your problem, open the Mcafee console, double click on access protection rules, and on ours it was the top rule, Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back