Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet/ftp to Sun from Intel Windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyone

Technical User
Feb 16, 2000
US
Visit site
Since I upgraded my SPARCstation2 to SUN 7 OS, I have not been able to telnet or ftp to the Sun machine. Get network is unreachable error message with Telnet. Everything worked fine with Solaris 2.4. Ethernet hookup with hub works OK between other PCs.

Does ping to your SPARC work? If not, do you have the proper routing setup on you SPARCstation?

No ping shows zero packets returned. Am using local files for TCPIP, am not too clear on routing setup.

Ping shows no packets returned. I am not to clear on routing setup. Am using local files for TCPIP. No DNS or NIS<br>
lookups.

What's the IP address of the Sun server, and the IP address of your Windows box? Also, what does the output from &quot;netstat -r&quot; on the Sun box show?

AndyBo<br>
<br>
Sun box IP 192.0.0.1<br>
Windows box 192.168.0.1<br>
Netstat -r returns:<br>
192.0.0.0 sunny u 3 0 leo<br>
224.0.0.0 sunny u 3 0 le0<br>
localhost localhost uh 0 33494 lo0<br>
<br>
This appears to be OK as far as I can tell.<br>
Sure do appreciate the help on this. Any other suggestions?<br>
<br>
Sunnyone,

Hmmm... What happens if you change the Sun box IP address to be 192.168.0.2? (Or similar...)<br>
<br>
The reason I ask is that the Sun box thinks it's on a class A network, and the Windows box (probably) thinks it's on a class C network (or maybe class B). (The output from netstat -r shows a route to network 192.0.0.0, which is class A.)<br>
<br>
So, changing the IP address of the Sun box to 192.168.0.2 should put it on the same network as the Windows box.<br>
<br>
Alternatively, setting up a new route on the Sun box might resolve things:<br>
<br>
route add 192.168.0.1 192.0.0.1<br>
<br>
As another alternative, change the netmask on the Windows box to be 255.0.0.0 - this then puts the Windows box onto network 192.0.0.0.<br>
<br>
Let us know how you get on.<br>
<br>
(And it's a pleasure to help :)

Do you have a router between your SPARC and the Windows machine...or just a hub? <br>
<br>
Dave

Dave,<br>
<br>
Just a hub, I don't need a router I only have the one LAN network.<br>
<br>
<br>

AndyBo<br>
<br>
I changed the IP address on the Windows box. lo and behold!<br>
We are connected. I had installed connection sharing on this box a few months ago and when it became the gateway it automaticly changed the network ID from 0 to 168, I never changed it back when I tried to connect to the Sun box after I had upgraded to Solaris 7. Naturaly I assumed the upgrade was the problem.<br>
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. You have my vote.<br>
<br>
Sunnyone,

Excellent - nice to know I've been able to help :)<br>
<br>
And thanks for the vote! Good to know that the help is appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back