Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcguinne

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
IE
Hi,

When I telnet to a particular Solaris 8 machine (krusty)
I get a curious delay.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

mcguinne

Hi,

Are you using DNS? Usually DNS cause this delay problem. Check your /etc/nswitch.conf file and make sure hosts line is set to use host files first. eg

hosts: files

feroz

DNS could cause the delay if it isn't set up correctly and/or someone has made a change in networking and hasn't told you about it. To test if it is DNS, try telneting to the IP address rather than the name. If you don't get the delay using the IP, then you know it is DNS. You can either try to correct the problem or use dbase77's solution.

However, if you just have

hosts: files

in your /etc/nsswitch.conf file, be sure to add the host you are telnetting to to your /etc/hosts file, or you won't be able to use the server name. I would recommend

hosts: files dns

so that if the system can't find the name in /etc/hosts, it will try DNS.

I also recommend trying to find out what the networking config problem is rather than ignoring it.

Thanks for your responses bi and dbase77. The delay
happens when I use CRT to telnet from my PC to the
machine. It does not happen when I telnet from another
Sun box. On the other 2.6 machine we are using hosts.

Hi,

In that case put sun server ip in windows hosts file that should speed up the connection.

feroz

Hi dbase77,

CRT is already using the IP address.

CRT does not delay when connecting to
three other (Solaris 2.6 & 8 & AIX 4.3.1.0)
hosts.

Tony

Go to the Sun machine and look in the file [tt]/etc/resolv.conf[/tt]. Look for the lines that start with [tt]nameserver[/tt]. Take those IP addresses and ping them, see if they come back fast.

We had an issue where the first two nameservers were unreachable. Apparently even while logging in from a remote machine, it does a lookup of who you are, possible for the [tt]wtmp[/tt] entry it needs to log. What would happen, just trying to [tt]telnet[/tt] to the machine would take a huge delay. Once in, you were fine. The delay was apprently while the first two DNS lookups were timing out. Correcting the nameserver entries fixed the delay.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back