Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet Connection Codes, how to interpret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdecker

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hi,

Im writing a simple telnet VB program that will let me login to a telnet server and run scripts. I have already successfully written the program with activx component. However, for experience, I am going back and re-writing the telnet part using winsock.

However, as many people have discovered, when you first login to the telnet server the data that you receive is not the normal "login:" that we are use to, but data strings such as :

255 253 35 255 253 32 ....

I understand vaguely what these are, but what I am really looking for is some good information to help me be able to respond properly to these. Basically I can read in this initial data from the telnet server, and then it just stops sending data and waits....and I dont know what to do (even though i know its my turn to send data, I dont know what to send!!)

Some previous threads had links describing this but the links are all outdated as the threads are old. Any telnet gurus out there that can help? Whats my next step ?

Thanks for the input...

the best way to program internet apps is to start reading RFCs first :)
u can find the RFC regarding Telnet protocol on the internet. frin that RFC u can find every bit n byte of Telnet communication. hope it'll help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back