Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet & Ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanst

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
GB
I do not seem to be able to run a telnet session or ping on mu windows xp pc, they do not appear to exist.

Network disabled by software or nic broken?

Swimpy ;)

I can log into both our file and mail servers on our NTDOMAIN ok, I do not know why but it is working now.
Thanks anyway

As swimpy noted, they may be blocked by group policy settings if you are on a network.

Use Windows Explorer and go to c:\windows\system32 and see if the .exe files for telnet and ping are there.

If they are, try them directly. Start, Run, CMD and hit enter to start a command session.

Type the following:

c:
cd \windows\systems32
telnet

If you are blocked at this point it is a group policy issue, talk to your network folks.

If you do not see the files, or see them and cannot execute them, it is likely a virus. SirCam would be one suspect, but there are others.

Do an exhaustive virus scan of your system with current definitions.

One last possibility is that your Environment Settings for your machine have been altered or corrupted. Right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Environment Settings, and make certain that in the lower box the Path variable begins with a reference to \system32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back