Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telling Python to use DLL vs PYD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR1EVER

Programmer
Mar 6, 2003
US
From reading the python FAQ, I know that PYD files are basically equivalent to DLLs (with the exception of the required init function, and the way python looks for the module).

So, I would like to rename a PYD file I made to the DLL extension, and have Python load it as a "DLL." I want to do this because I have other non-python applications that need the same DLL (or PYD) file, but they need the extension to be DLL (extensions screw everything up!!). Of course, I could have two copies of the DLL, one as .dll and the other as .pyd, but that's a terrible hack to what should be a simple solution.

If this can't be done, is there some way for me to specify in MSVC8 the name of a DLL file to use (so I could tell it to use "whatever.pyd" instead of "whatever.dll"...)?

Thanks.

Uh, nevermind. Once I continued programming my project, it became clear that I wouldn't be able to satisfy my python and non-python applications with the same DLL anyway.

So, nevermind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back