Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telling momory chips apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

hchman

MIS
Mar 28, 2001
US
Is there a way by looking at a memory chip to tell whether it is a PC133 SDRAM chip? My computer manual says this is the correct chip to put in. A friend gave me a 256MB chip but not sure what type it is. Will it hurt the computer if it is not the correct type?

When a wrong Ram chip is placed on a system board, chances are that the system will not boot at-all or the Ram chip may get fried. Either way, the system board will more than likely not be affected, provided that you did not let the Ram fried to ashes before pulling the plug. So it doesn't hurt trying the chip and take it from there.
good luck.

I have a different point of view - if you use the wrong type of ram then it cannot only frie your ram but also your motherboard I think if you don't know the difference between the main types of ram which are: Sip Dip Simm Dimm then I don't think you need to be installing it. So look around on the net for information on the different type and when you know the difference then you should install your ram
David@Daw Corp, 1999-2002

I know the difference between Sip Dip Simm Dimm. I have installed lots of RAM. Just wanted to know if there is a place on the ram chip or certain architecture that would tell if it is PC133 SDRAM. I got the RAM from a friend and he did not know so that is why I am asking. I can go to Best Buy and get 256MB of RAM for $49. Just asked if there is a way to tell by the chip. Trying to learn something if possible.

There should be a small white label placed on one side of the chip. it will have number of pins, size of silicon chips, total storage of RAM, and bus speed. Look for this on the end of the stick.

If you examine the chips on the RAM it will give you an ID number on it.....thats the way to identifie what you have. Do a search based on those letters\numbers. Electronics companies will tell you exactly what you have.Then multiply it by the number of chips on the board. I`m no electronics expert but it worked for me. :) If your unsure....Dont do it!

Thank you all for your tips. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back