Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telephone wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericb123

MIS
Mar 3, 2008
US
I have a townhouse, with say 8-10 jacks throughout the house. In the basement, all the phone wires come together and are basically all twisted together and capped with an electrical cap.

I was running a new jack and wanted to clean this up a bit, either punch down all the wires, or crimp on RJ11 ends to the wires, but how to connect them all?

One of the wires is from the d-mark, once I find that wire, is there something easy/inexpensive that I can mount on a wall so I can distrubute the dial-tone to the other wires?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Many of the Home Depot or Lowes stores have a Network/Telephony aisle. If you check there you may be able to get a 66 block or AT&T style block that will make this easy. The expensive part will be buying a punch down tool to use on it. Talk to one of the assistants there and usually they can lead you in the right direction of how to set it up.
Failing that, Radio Shack may have something, though I have never looked in their stores for this stuff so I am not certain.

There's a difference whether it's 8 or 10 for this product A tad pricey, but you don't have much labor involved in punching down 10 cables to the bridging module.

You could do this with a 66M1-50 an S-89 bracket, some bridge clips and jumper wire. It will cost about $15 for parts and in both cases you'll need a tool (well technically only for the 66 block as the Leviton deal comes with a plastic tool).

LkEErie

Be sure to punch down all the pairs of each cable,in case you need to expand a station location in the future, for things like a fax,DSL etc.
I would also do the same for the cable coming in from the Demark.

Good Luck

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

thanks for the replies! I may have a 66 block laying around, and I have a punch down tool. Can I do it with that?

I just don't know howto wire it, so that the 1 incoming line with the dial tone gets distributed to the other patches.

Thanks again!

Using a 66 block, punch your feed cable, all 4 pairs, on the upper left side. Follow the color code, Wht/Blu, Wht/Orn, Wht/Grn, and Wht/Brn. Punch your station cables below and on the right hand side, again following the color code.

Use jumper wire along the right side to loop the Blue pair of the 1st cable to the Blue pair of the 2nd cable, to the Blue pair of the 3rd cable, etc. all the way down.

Do the same for the Orange, Green, and Brown pairs.

Use bridge clips to connect the feed pair on the left to the station cable on the right. Use more bridge clips to connect the station cables on the left (that are jumpered to each other) to the station cables on the right (under the feed cable)

Ooh, how's this for visual? In this case, you can actually terminate 11 4-pair cables and the feed in the 12th position. The only problem is you can only bridge 6 cables and the right side cables would always be hard wired to the feed.

The 4-pair cables to the house are on the left, cables 7-11 would terminate on the right side, and the feed is the 12th
cable. Then you use 2-pair or whatever you need jumper wire and the looping blade to loop through the multiple.

LkEErie

Great photo! That's a perfect example. Or you could use 2 blocks, bring the feed to the left of the first block, loop it down all 6 positions of the left side, and bring it to the left side of the 2nd block and loop it down there as well.

All station cables go on the right sides of the two blocks, bridge clips across for the connections, and for troubleshooting, you can isolate any or all cables.

Yeah TTT. The perfect reason why I hate to do resi cabling. 2 66 blocks take up a lot of real estate in the floor joist space :). This was a little attic where I could mount the 2' board and make it look worthwhile. He only had 6 drops in that location.

LkEErie

Hmmm, I don't have a 66 block I can use afterall. Some of the products I see are a little pricy.

The phone jacks all work, so I don't see spending alot on it, I was just looking for a way to neaten up the wiring from a big ball where everything is twisted together, into something a little neater, in a junction box or something.

Thanks again!

My experience is that those twisty buggers will get corroded and cause noise on the line. I think that is not a choice.
Buy a 66 block. you'll love it, just don't cut the wrong side of the jumper, lol.
Good luck,
-Randy

I'm all for DIY projects, but in this case the easiest solution is to call your telco, and have their tech terminate a 66 or Krone block. If it's 8 - 10 jacks like you say, it will be done in an two hours or less.

No need in spending countless hours searching for material/tools to buy, and then devoting time to actually doing the work - TIME IS MONEY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back