Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telecommuting with Altigen IP710? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

markdmac

MIS
Dec 20, 2003
US
I am trying to get my Altigen phone to work from home for telecommuting. For some reason I can't get it to dial anyone. (office or external)

Here is what I have done so far.

Server Side
Opened firewall to direct following ports to Altiserver internal IP
tcp 10032
tcp 1720
tcp 49152 49272
udp 49152 49272

Home Network
Opened firewall to direct following ports to Altigen ip710 DHCP assigned address
tcp 10032
tcp 1720
49152-49272 both udp/tcp

1. Plug phone into one of my wireless router’s four ports.
2. Turn phone on and verify that it has an IP address from my DHCP server
3. Change AW Server IP to public IP of server via Menu > System > AW Server
4. Turn on phone’s NAT via Menu > Network > Enable NAT > Yes.
5. Register the phone via Menu > Register

Register reports OK.
Lift handset and I get dial tone.
If I dial an extension, nothing happens.
Per the documentation, since this is the only phone behind the NAT, I should not need to configre a VLAN.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

what version of software is the Server running on?
Do you have SIP NAT and the public IP address configured in
AltiEnterprise Manager?

Version 6.0.1.404

I did not have SIP NAT checked in the Enterprise Manager. I checked that and it promptly killed my phones after warning me to be sure my IP networks were setup right.

I didn't have anything listed in the IP Networks. So I added my local IP range for my office as follows

10.0.0.1-10.0.0.254
Pipe: Local
Private: Yes

This is all new to me so please bear with me as I ramp up. Our office is small, we only have one location and 12 phones. Do I need to add any other IP networks to that list to get traffic from the Internet? I'll test to see if this fixed things tonight when I am at home.

Many thanks for your assistance.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Ah, yes. forgot to mention to check that your local IP range was defined.

OK, so no other IP ranges need to go in there provided I am not connecting to any other Altigen boxes then right?

Success!!!

What I next need to understand and figure out is the VLAN feature. As I understand it that is used if you have more than one phone.

My boss wants to be able to take a phone out to a client site and plug it right into a network jack and have it work without opening firewall ports. Do you know if the VLAN feature would accomplish that?

The VLAN feature is only to seperate voice and data on the same LAN. Your server would have to have two NICS.

For you boss, the phone config will be the same as your IP phone. How about using IPTalk on a laptop, instead of taking a phone? will work just as well

Thanks for that clarification. I think he will just have to use the MaxCommunicator for the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back