Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telecommute Soln's - Remote Access for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

leishad

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
US
I am going to be working remotely and need some input with regard to what I need to have setup. We're using Macola Progression 7.6.3 MSSQL. I want to be able to work just as I do within the office. One of the issues that I have is that I may be restricted to a limited amount of online time yet I would still like to be able to work on developement projects (at least need access to SQL database framework) offline.

This is not my area of expertise so I would appreciate any explanation of what I need to consider.

If your company has a terminal server or citrix server, you should be able to get access to that. If you still have your workstation at the office, you could purchase a subscription to GoToMyPC at The website installs a component on your PC at work (the host) and then by logging into the website, you can connect to that computer from just about anywhere you can get an internet connection. I've had a subscription to it for about 4 years. They got purchased from Citrix about a year ago.

Kevin Scheeler

I use both WebEx to connect to my work PC, and Remote Desktop to connect to the Terminal server. While the Webex is a bit slower I do get everything I need and all the same access. I don't know what it's like with Progression, but with ES the setup on the Terminal server can be tricky, and your Admin my need to copy some files to your RD profile for all of the reports to run correctly.

Bill

I would suggest that you create a VPN connection from your office to the router at work. From there you can then connect TS to run applications from a Terminal Server. If you have the client of sQl installed you can just connect to the IP of the live sql and have all your rights from Enterprise manager etc.

I have this kind of connectivity with several clients and it works like a charm.

The real problem with gotomypc and such is that it requires a machine at the office to be up and running. Something you might not have control over.

Just my $.02

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!

If you are doing development work, keep in mind that many development tools require administrative or elevated power user access to work properly on the machine you are remotely controlling. It is not ideal for you to be doing development on a production server running Terminal Server as development often requires reboots and you may inadvertently damage critical business applications running on the server.

I would suggest using a system that you can remotely control, have administrator access to, and be able to destroy without getting you in trouble. A workstation setup with all the applications you need would work great for this. You can then use Remote Desktop, gotomypc, or a similar solution to remotely control the machine.

Scott Travis

Thank-you all --- looks like we'll try gotomyPC first and see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back