Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telecom 9600M or F640 Floppy Disk failed. Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munz

Technical User
Jun 9, 2006
AU
I am not onsite and have no information handy so please bear with me if there are any minor errors. I just had a floppy disk in the second (right hand) drive fail on a working 9600M system. The system was down because it failed to boot into a running state (stalled during boot). Software is Rel 7.x (maybe 7C).
The 2nd drive light was permanently on (reading), after a power outage. I did a data-kept-restart, drive 1 read ok, drive 2 stopped during read. The disk was not an original. It was copied or created onto a generic floppy disk. I used the backup set of 2 (both original Fujitsu disks) to boot the system and the boot-up and recovery to a working state was completed. I believe that I may have done a system backup with the spare disks in the drives a couple of years ago with cmd=921 or 922. I removed them and put the set that have now failed back in.

My questions are - If the generic disk 2 was working, how was it created? Is it 720k, 1.44M, IBM format or some other format? Can I just put in a blank formatted disk of the right type and do a backup to system disk to create it. If not can I disk-copy the good disk with MS-DOS, or MS-Windows or is it copy protected and requires ordering the part from a Fuji vendor? Is there a program that will copy disk?

If that all seemed pretty simple is the same answer also correct for the Disk in drive 1.

Munz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back