Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telco's or Carrier WHATS THE DIFFRENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcfc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Hi I have been asked whats the diffrence between a Telco and a Carrier ? I am from a Telecom background but for some reason I think I might be getting set up to say the wrong thing .PLEASE HELP WHAT IS THE DIFFRENCE.

I haven't come across an official definition, but here's the way I see it...

A Telco provides the local line, exchange services, and would fix the telephone connection point into your house or business. A Carrier provides the long distance links (trunk routes) throughout the country that would link to the local Telco. However, it may now be the case that these definitions start to merge at some point...

I believe in the past you could add a code to the long distance telephone number being dialed that would enable routing via a specific Carrier.

Anyone care to give us the official version...?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

From Whatis.com:

Telco - In the United States and possibly other countries, "telco" is a short form for telephone company. Sometimes it means a local telephone company, such as a Bell operating company or an independent local telephone company. Sometimes it means any telephone company, including one offering long-distance services.

Carrier - In the telecommunications industry, a carrier is a telephone or other company that sells or rents telecommunication transmission services. A local exchange carrier (LEC) is a local phone company and an inter-exchange carrier (IEC or IXC) carries long-distance calls.

There probably is no "official" version. I have always used "telco" to distinguish anything between the caller and the phone system demarcation point, e.g. identifying whether an outage is a pbx/system problem or a telco problem. Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

I'm in the LD world, and from the IXC perspective, when dealing with our customers (either LECs or retail/wholesale), the idea is TELCO indicates the actual owner of the facility going to the customer premise, and CARRIER is the group who either ordered the circuit or where it eventually terminates. In some cases, like in MCI, who have local presence and long distance presence, it could be the same company (but different organizations). In most cases, TELCO are the folks who wire up to the demarc block and CARRIER are the ones who provide the service over the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back