Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tek-Tips - New forum style

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Your thoughts, tips on what is where and what you cant find.

I like the look better both styles which is located at the bottom.
Getting in line with other forums was well overdue
-PM (called Conversations here), you can PM a group
-Feeds and Following, you can follow people, and if they bark, you get the feed.
-Images are no longer allowed in signatures
-Signatures are allowing 3 lines of text
-Links in signature also not allowed so you will need to cut and paste
-People now get trophies, I got a couple, lol
-Polls allowed

Favorite/Watched forums
I am hoping to figure out if there is a quick way to see watched forums on the right that we had on the left side without having to go deeper, may not be possible.
The watched forums is located on the 2nd tabs bar up top, also by clicking on your name top right, again your name just under Bookmarks, then the Post Areas tab, which I don't get the name.

I now seem to be getting an email for every new post in any forum. Same after I went into preferences and chose my email options. Maybe I need to select the Unsubscribe option in the email?

In your preferences I see:

-Receive news and update emails
-Receive activity summary email We will keep you updated about new content when you haven't visited for a while.
-Receive email when a new conversation message is received

Mine are all checked, so far I have only seen these 3 type of emails:
2 for started post by somebody in my watched forums
1 reply in a thread I started, this one.

I just got 2 since midnight today. Several others from previous days that I deleted.
Today:
Nt700 firmware - New thread in watched forum
VM to email Google MX - New thread in watched forum

I believe I'm getting every post in Phone and Telephony Systems. Not a big deal now that I know they're associated with telecom.
You may have seen these settings I have:View attachment 59

Attachments

• 1723899346295.png
    1723899346295.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You're welcome - it appears I was Watching some forums that I did not realize. Such as a few of the Avaya forums, I never got email alerts about new posts
until Tek-Tips changed to the new site. I looked at the forum list, I thought maybe the clouds on the left of the name that weren't greyed meant I was Watching,
but that wasn't necessarily the case. As emails come in, I'll just mark the forum accordingly going forward.

The 'Silver lining' of this is I didn't realize Tek-Tips had so many forums that I may be interested in. I may just set some to Watch.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back