Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Technologies for adding workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

edove

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
GB
Hi, I'm a Lotus Notes Developer and my partner and I have decided to start looking at developing MS solutions using Sharepoint.

We will need to develop specific applications with workflow built in and what we are still unsure about is what technologies we need to use (i.e. what technologies I need to learn) in order to add specific workflow functionality outside of the available templates.

Hi there,
There are several 3rd party workflow applications for SharePoint, and Portal/Office 2007 will have a lot of workflow improvements it seems.

But, assuming you're talking about rolling your own, I'd start by focusing on C# and VB.NET programming, web part programming and deployment, the SharePoint Services object model, .NET web services, and InfoPath.

Then I'd work out a few simple examples of workflow using Document Library Event Handlers. Get both of Scot Hillier's SharePoint books, they are both excellent. "Microsoft SharePoint, Building Office 2003 Solutions", 2nd Edition from Apress, Chapter 9 has a really neat example of a simple workflow application. The application moves a document between three document libraries as its status is updated.

It's a good example of what can be done when you combine document library event handlers with the powerful object model.

Once I did a few examples there, I'd recommend taking a look at BizTalk for more extensive workflow reqs. "Advanced SharePoint Services Solutions" from Apress, Chapter 7 is all about BizTalk, and includes a good discussion of the WSS adapter.

Even with Office 2007 only a few months away (from EA customers anyway), that will be great stuff to learn.

Hope that's helpful.
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back