Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Technicians CD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayWilson

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
GB
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to put together a legitimate CD full of useful applications that an IT Technician would use on a day to day basis (either at work or servicing home users). I have obvious utils such as "Winzip". In the case of my work, I also have "Internet Explorer 6" and "Media Player". I also found utilities such as "RegClean" and a "Works to Word Converter", "TweakUI", "RealPlayer" that sort of thing. Can you tell me of any other programs? Particularly an application that can fully remove corrupted programs off a PC (such as MCafee Uninstaller ???)

Much appreciated - sorry if this is a "wrong" forum but I couldn't see a "Software General" :)

Ray

you can also Irfanview as an image viewer .. Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Its a bit of an open-ended question heh, the tasks of a technician vary greatly between companies.

I just did a Google search though and this came up: might save you the hassle (that was just the first one I found - no clue if it's any good or if there are better...)

Adobe Acrobat Reader, Ghost.exe(If you've got the licence), You could also put a copy of your boot disk on it-just in case you loose your boot floppy you could make another.

Aother good thing to have would be a driver database of the ones you run into at your work. I have created 3 cds that have a WIDE range of drivers for all our past and presend hardware. I update the CDs everytime we get a new piece of equipment I do not have drivers for already. Also have a cd full of Service packs> MS windows 98 SP1, Windows NT4 SP3,4 and 6a, Windows 2000 SP1 and 2. Also have IE4.01 SP1. Service packs for office and any other MS software you may have to run into. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I have several CD's that I stuff in with my TechNet CDs. I don't work on W98 boxes or earlier, so I only carry drivers for NT & 2K.

Not in any particular order:
NIC Drivers, HP printer drivers, Image Viewer (XnView is free and very good), UltraEdit, The Administrators Pak (from Winternals), WS_Ping ProPack, NeoTrace, Resplendent Registrar, Partition Magic, Drive Image Pro, VolumeManager, FTP Voyager, Service Packs (NT, 2K), Security Patches (On a separate disk), IE5.5, Acrobat reader, UltimateZip, TurboNavigator, Norton AntiVirus.

I also carry an 8 port switch, various length CAT5 cables (straight and Crossover), a Fluke Cable tester (expensive) you might just look at a digital cable tester for around $350 - much better than one with just diodes on it. [thumbsup2]

When I need to use Software that the license restricts to a single use/server, I require that the client purchase the sftware. Not from me (I'm not a reseller) but from an authorized dealer. I have the software with me so I can quickly diagnose/repair/whatever the problem, without waiting for overnight delivery.

Over the years I've found you don't know what you'll need till you need it and don't have it with you! LOL

think about the structure of the cd aswell, eg put it into sections like win95 win 98 ntwrk ntsvr win2kprof etc, also create a seprate folder for each application with a text ciew which explains what it does and when it could be used and lincenceing details, there is nothing worse than looking for an app when there are hundreds of files with strange file names in no sections then trying to remember what os there for!

HTH

Marc Turner

Thanks very much for the answers. I'll tell you what I got so far:

Bootdisks: All Windows Op. Sys bootdisks
EMail Clients: Outlook Express and Eudora
Encryption: International PGP
File Compression: WinAce and Winzip 8.0
File Readers, Viewers & Converters: Adobe Acrobat, IrfanView, UDF Reader and a "Works to Word Converter"
Firewalls: Zonealarm
Game Related: DirectX 8.1
Media Related: Medial Player, Realplayer
Protocols: WS_FTP
Remote Access: Virtual Network Computing (this is cool!!)
Security: Ad Aware, Password Recovery program
System Info: Belarc Advisor (you need to try this!!!)
System Maintenance: Regclean, TweakUI, Smart Uninstaller
Web Related: Various browsers (IEs, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla)
Plugins: Flash Player

All in all it's about 250 MB at the moment. I'd love to fill it up with obscure but really useful utilities. It would be really handy for doing "on the side" jobs out of work too! Thanks for replying.

Regards

Ray

You could throw winRAR into the compression section

for remote access you might want to include netmeeting

file editors: textpad ( or ultraedit (ultraedit.com)

maybe a section for email clients such as eudora.

Maybe some programs like:
ATM (Another Task Manager)
Motherboard monitor CoolCPU

I'll post back if I think of anything else.

I'd add:

-TightVNC (
-Norton Utilities or PCCheck(up)

-A peice of software to recover deleted files (Such as Norton Undelete (in Utilities) or another undelete program.

-Norton Uninstaller

-Win2K Resource Kit

-WinInstall LE and image files for programs

There is a book called "Bigelow's Troubleshooting , Maintaining & Repairing PCs" that provides a CD with 120+ tools on it. CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back