Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEC logfile adapter questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prits77

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
ZA
Hi people,

I have a set of questions around TEC logfile adapters. We are being asked by our application developers to provide them with a mechanism to read certain type of errors/messages from logfiles on home grown applications for alerting purposes.

The problem I have is that many of the applications have logfiles that either:

1) rotate everyday
2) rap after a X number of lines are in the logfile. So this causes new events to start in the beginning of the file and the old events are still there.
3) some applications rotate their logfiles but create new files with a date stamp for the day that the file was created.

The problems/questions that I have rgd the above 3 points is:

1) If a logfile rotates everyday will LFA simply reset it's internal pointer to 0 and start from the beginning of the file?
2) If the logfile wraps after say a 1000 lines will this confuse the LFA and will it now that it must now start reading from the beginning again ?
3) When the TEC ACF is configured you have to provide the path and file name of the file. How do you tell the adapter to read the same file where the name keeps changing because the date and timestamp are part of the log files name?

Thank You
Pritesh

Questions 1 & 2 - The logfile adapter does not care if the file wraps, truncates or even if it is deleted and recreated. The internal pointer will always point to 'end of file'.

Question 3 - Unfortunately, the logfile adapter is very picky about filenames. I have tried in the past to use wildcards in the logfile name without success. You may suggest to your application developers to give the logfile a constant name. Then at the EOB each day, rename the file, appending it with the date stamp and recreating the logfile with the constant name to be read by the adapter.

Hope this helps,
Robert Blue
Sr. Systems Programmer
Kaiser Permanente Health Plan
Enterprise Automation Services,
Design and Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back