Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teaming NICS in Win2k ADV Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBill21

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2003
US
hi running windows 2k adv server, and im running 2 100 bit belkin nic cards, is there a way to team up the nic cards and make it so they only have 1 ip adresse, thus making it like a 200mbps virtual nic card?

You can assign two IP addresses to a single card but cannot assign one IP address to two cards. This is a violation of the TCP/IP standards and will cause havoc with your network.

with cisco switches, it is definitely possible to team adapters, but you would have to get NICs that are capable. i don't know much about belkin, but the 3com's in my HP netserver are easily configurable to this. i'm moving toward this right now....

actually you can have teams of up to 8 NICs on cisco switches, which obviously takes up a lot of ports, but allows for more throughput, load balancing, and redundancy.

ilpadrino is quite right.

It's matter of the cards. Their driver has to support "trunking".

And this team works only when its NICs are connected to a managable switch, which supports "trunking" too.

My configuration is:
Compaq NC312x NICs ( ~ 4 $ on eBay )
3Com 3300 and 3900 Switch ( each of them supports up to two trunks with four NICs each )

allright kewl, now as long as i have a trunking capable switch it will work, as long as i have the right nics of course, what would happen if it didn't have a trunk-able switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back