Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Team Viewer Remote Access software

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSVTECH

MIS
Oct 16, 2011
US
If you've used this software before, how does it compare to other products out there aside from the expense.

I've used the free version of it once before. I thought that the shared secret key was an interesting concept to help ensure that only the desired parties connect.

Your question, though, doesn't state what your objectives are. This makes it hard to make a comparison. When you ask about features aside from expense, I personally wouldn't pay for a remote or shared desktop system, so it is hard for me to offer any advice without a better understanding. Maybe others will have more information.

I left out the part that I had purchased this software a few months ago and am having great results with my remote customers, though it'll take awhile before I break even on the cost.

Prior to purchasing this software I did try the free version and was impressed. I'd tried just about every known remote program and settled on this because of the performance, ease of use and least amount of customers hands-on requirement.

The reason I asked for others opinion on the software was to find out what others who may have used it thought about it and if they went with another program other than for the cost, why? I always like having backup programs so if others have a special fondness for a competitor software I'd be interested in why.

No, I don't own stock in Team Viewer, just curious.

I used Teamviewer for a few years as my main remote support software. I was pretty happy with it. You do have to do a good amount of remote work to make up the cost of buying it. Thankfully it is just a one time fee, as opposed to something like LogMeIn that charges by the year. Now I use it as backup to ScreenConnect. I was up for renewing (I think I had about 2 years with TV) so I did a bit of shopping around. I host SC on my own server. I now use TV as backup to SC- though I've only used it a handful of times when I had trouble the an AV not letting me through. SC is pretty cheap- they charge per concurrent license. If you are looking for a backup to TV you would probably just buy in for one license. Teamviewer is a little more developed but SC has all the basic functionality of a remote tool and from what I can tell they have continual development (2 releases since I've been with them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back