Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teaching NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulB

MIS
Jun 14, 1999
IE
Visit site
I have taught an introduction to Operating Systems which was supposed to be a theoretical course in the main. I decided to approach the course from a practical point of view and I basically relied heavily on my notes on "Administering NT 4". I supplemented this with some "Core technologies" stuff. I now have to give the second term of this subject and am wondering are there any suggestions for what would be useful. The students are studying for a Certificate in Computer and IT support.

I don't know how in depth you are planning to take the class, but at least a basic explaination of TCP/IP would be extremely helpful.

You may take a look at the academic version of the MOC courses. If you're looking for topics that would be good for beginners to cover, I would think about the following:<br>
<br>
RAS<br>
TCP/IP<br>
Printing<br>
Basic Troubleshooting<br>
ERDs and use<br>
Unattended Installs<br>
<br>
If you're looking for more advanced topics I would recommend:<br>
<br>
Registry<br>
Security<br>
Interconnectivity with Novel/Unix<br>

Look at including the following:<br>
Multi-Domain Models<br>
Migrating from Netware to NT<br>
RAS<br>
TCP/IP (Intro/Mid-Level)<br>
Internet Info Server

Have each student install NT server (PDC,BDC), NT workstation, Win95/98 on 4 blank computers, make sure they can prepare the systems from scratch, install DHCP, share directorys and drives, map drives,create users/groups, promote BDC to PDC, make rdisk floppys, rotate the 4 machines with different hardware<br>
to act as server, workstation etc to maximize configuration experience, then erase hard drives, and start over..., after several installs, have them add/share printers, configure a dialup internet provider, etc.

also throw in things like asking how to "promote" from member to PDC/BDC (usually an exam question).<br>
Installing printers with the relevant client OS installers on the server using IP, DLC and Macintosh (if applicable).<br>
What is DHCP and how does it work.<br>
IP and subnet masks.<br>
BOOT.ini.

When I teach people about Windows NT Workstation, Server, and Small Business Server, I make sure they have an in depth understanding about the basics of Windows NT, such as the explorer and how to use it, as well as the differences between Windows NT and Windows 9x. Then I go into TCP/IP, and the rest of the important protocols, making sure to keep TCP/IP the most important. I then go into RAS as well DHCP. I try and give them a better understanding of networking, since Windows NT is such a good networking OS. I show them how to install proxy, dns, and gateways. I then go into NT Server administration, showing them how users can connect to the server and access files. I show them how to setup shares, and how to setup permissions. I explain everything I can using words, then actually show them things after using computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back