Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP Socket connection to a domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffyn

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
AU
Hi,

Just started learning java. I'm writing an Android app, and want to connect to a TCP server using a domain name, eg. myserver.mydomain.com

The code I'm using is:
Code:
Socket connfd = new Socket (InetAddress.getByName("myserver.mydomain.com").getHostAddress(), 3280);

This line causes the app to hang. If I remove the getHostAddress() bit, eg.
Code:
Socket connfd = new Socket (InetAddress.getByName("myserver.mydomain.com"), 3280);
Then it will timeout eventually, but never try the connection.

The TCP server app listening at the other end is a Delphi app I wrote with logging, and I can see that it's never receiving the connection request.

Help please?

It connects fine with a numerical IP.

Then my next check would be to print the result of InetAddress.getByName("myserver.mydomain.com").getHostAddress() to test it's resolving correctly.

Cheers,
Dian

Problem solved. Combination of the eclipse IDE not doing an inline resolve correctly, plus that I'd forgotten to poke a hole in the firewall - oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back