Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP suddenly out of operation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurg

MIS
Oct 26, 2001
CH
We have a Windows 2000 Server, an small Ethernet network (TCP/IP) with 4 Windows98 clients, a router for temporary Internet access / remote dial in and a print server. The Windows 2000 Server is the domain controller.

Sometimes after 2 weeks of operation, sometimes already after 3 hours of operation, all clients loose contact to the server. It is like the TCP/IP protocol had disappeared. „Ping“ does not give a reply, only if we ping the server on the server console, we are getting a reply. We have to reboot the server in order to continue the work until it happens the next time...

What is wrong? All help will be much appreciated!

How do you assgin IP's DHCP or Staticly?

Are you Running Other Protocols?

Can you ping the Clients from the Server?

Have you tryed to ping 127.0.0.1 on the clients?

We assign the IP addresses statically

Other active Protocols are Netbuie and Netbios over TCP/IP

Under normal conditions, we can ping the server from the clients and we can also ping the clients from the server without any problems. But when "the problem" (see original message) happens, we cannot ping the clients from the server and the clients don't get an answer from the server any more.

Jurg

remove Netbeui,

make sure the IP addresses and subnet masks match...
What are the addresses and subnet masks you are using ?

Next, what brand of network card are you using on the server ?

When the problem occurs, can the clients still see/ping each other ? ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Peter,

The IP addresses and subnet masks do match. We are using 192.168.0.xx and the mask 255.255.255.0.

The network card on the server is a 3Com Etherlink XL10/100 PCI.

I will turn off Netbeui today.

I haven't tried whether the clients can still ping each other after "it" occoured, but I don't think so, because we also have to reboot the clients after "it" happend in order to get a connection to the server.

I noticed that the name of the domain and the name of the server do not match. Could this cause the problem?
The server is called server1.xy.ch, the domain is called "alpha" and the "DNS suffix for this connection" on the server and on the clients is set to xy.ch.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jurg

Your naming is set up correctly...
Please check if the clients can ping each other when 'it' occurs...

(might be a cabling problem or switch problem as well...) ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

It appears that you have an intermittant connectivity issue on the Server end. I say this assuming that when the problem occurs, no user can connect to the Server.

Here's what you need to do:

Try to determine whether it is a cabling (most likely) or a Nic card issue.

If Cabling:

It is most likely a patch coord running from the server to to the switch, or to a wall outlet. At any rate, try swapping out the patch coord and make sure it's seats properly at both ends.

If you are connecting the Server nic to a wall outlet instead of directly to a switch, in addition to the first recommendation, try swapping out the patch coord that runs from the corresponding port on the switch to the corresponding port on the patch panel.

If Nic:

1. Check out your Server's Nic Network Link Seletion properties (Default - AutoNegotiation). This could cause an intermittant connectivity issue if the autodetect feature fails to detect the proper port speed for the Nic.

Try chaning the Nic's properties from autoNegotiation to 10 or 100 mps, which ever your network is configured to. --

2. If all else fails, try swapping out the Nic.

Ken

Peter,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll try to ping from one client to another client when "it" happens next time. However, in all likelyhood, the clients won't be able to ping each other in such a situation. It is like the network was dead.

Do you have a suggestion if the clients can't ping each other? Rebooting the server AND rebooting all PC clients has always helped so far. However the router and the print server (inside a Lexmark printer) did not need to be rebooted.

Jurg

Ken,

The cable from the NIC to the switch looks quite used - I'll replace it. If it does not help I'll replace the switch, as well.

I never thought about a potential hardware problem...

Thanks for your help.

Jurg

I thing replacing the cable or switch will make a huge difference... ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Good.:)

I hope things work out for you.

Ken Wilson
MCSE NT4, MCP+I,
MCSE W2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back