Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP Seems to be correct - No IE/Outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous75

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
On one of my XP boxes, I have set up my tcp/ip correctly, and can ping and trace (ip and hostnames) out from a command prompt, but I can not get my outlook or IE to use the connection. I have another XP box that doesn't have this issue. Both machines can share files currently, and both are set up to connect through my netgear router(gateway) to my dsl.

C:\DOCUME~1\OCTAVIO>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet
Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-4F-02-CB-5B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.185

My ADSL (Netgear RT314) router logs into my dsl. I used dhcp when I first got it about 1 1/2 years ago, but then changed to static ip system so that I could have fixed ips for the computer (router doesn't allow mac address mapping). Everything worked just fine prior to installing XP. After installing xp, I followed the same exact tcp/ip configuration steps. I have double-checked[actually more than twice :)] settings in both pc's to make sure they are the same(besides the ip). I have also installed the latest (win xp) driver for my nic card. I am not having dns issues as I can ping and trace by hostname and IP(including to my router and the other pc). I can not however, telnet to my router, as I can from my other pc, and I can not surf/send mail. I have chosen "never dial a connection" and used the internet setup wizard to see if it would pick up the lan connection but no luck. I'm sure someone has had this problem, and would appreciate your advice.

Hi,

I too had the same problem. It drove me crazy for a while. I finally found a few sites that helped me. My solution was to go into my registry system, delete any old server installs then start from scratch and reinstall the network. I used NetGear, a switch but similiar. I am posting the sites that might help, they give all sorts of information for networking. They don't cost anything and and the second site will help you with the registry part. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back