Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP IP "recovery" speed issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpopovici

Technical User
Nov 8, 2009
NZ
Hi,

need a TCP-IP guru badly here. :)
Does anyone know if there is any relation between how fast the TCP-IP throughput recovers after a packet loss and the loss rate of client ACKs?
For example I have an environment where I can have a peak throughput of lets say 10Mbps between a server and a client. When a packet from server to client is being lost the TCP-IP will immediately reduce the transmit rate and then will gradually increase it until it reaches again the maximum value. However in an almost identical environment I can see that it takes much longer time for the throughput to recover back to its maximum value after a packet loss (about 10 times longer). One of the differences between the two environments is that in the second one there is a much higher loss rate on the uplink (from client to server). I was wondering if this can be related to the recovery speed, or if I should look for other reasons.

Thanks,
Radu

thanks for the link. it's not really answering my question, but useful nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back