Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp/ip problem in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthree6mafia

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
CY
the pc is connected to the lan with ip address 192.168.0.112
there is a print server with ip address 192.168.0.151 . the pc also has a dial up modem which is used for the internet.

the problem is that when the pc is not connected to the internet the pc can print at the print server. when the pc is connected to the internet it will not print at all.

when connected to the internet you can ping the print server though. I have tried a test and have removed the option to gain a gateway from the remote host in the dial up connection, when you do this you connect to the internet , you can print at the print server but you cannot browse due to the missing gateway.

any ideas?

What is happening is that when you try to connect to the printserver while you are online, the computer tries to resolve the printserver's name into an ip address. This fails because it sends the request out to your DNS servers which have no idea what it is.

Try adding an entry to your hosts file. Your hosts file should be located under your windows directory system32/drivers/etc/hosts and the hosts file has no extension so just open it in notepad.

The entry should be of the form:
192.168.0.151 PrintServer

Where the first part is the ip address of the print server and the second part is the name of the print server.

Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

have tried this before and it has not worked, it seems that the print jobs go to the default gateway which is received from the remote provider

Have you tried a traceroute to the printserver?
To perform a traceroute, at a command prompt type:
tracert printserver

Remember to replace the printserver with the name of the printserver, also try it with the ip.

The tracert command will basically map a path of where the packets are going.

Do you also have problems connecting to other computers on the network when you are dialed into the internet?

Is that computer the only one with internet access, or are there other computers on the LAN with modems and dial-up accounts? If there are other computers with modem access have you considered setting up an inexpensive router to allow the whole network internet access. At my company we have a small LAN with an old 486 running a variant of unix ( doing the routing to a 56k dial up connection. Now this is not the fastest but it works fine.

Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

Have you tried a traceroute to the printserver?
To perform a traceroute, at a command prompt type:
tracert printserver

Remember to replace the printserver with the name of the printserver, also try it with the ip.

The tracert command will basically map a path of where the packets are going.

Do you also have problems connecting to other computers on the network when you are dialed into the internet?

Is that computer the only one with internet access, or are there other computers on the LAN with modems and dial-up accounts? If there are other computers with modem access have you considered setting up an inexpensive router to allow the whole network internet access. At my company we have a small LAN with an old 486 running a variant of unix ( doing the routing to a 56k dial up connection. Now this is not the fastest but it works fine.

Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back