Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp/ip printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

printing

MIS
Nov 26, 1999
CA
Is there a way to make a win95pc a print server?....The actual printer has a NIC and an ip address. I was able to achieve this on NT server by first enabling tcp/ip printing services, and then use LPR utility to add a port.This printer cannot be attached through a parallel port.

What you need is a lpd server for the Win95 box. You tend to get one with fully featured terminal emulation and X server packages. I'm not sure if there are any free or shareware ones out there, but a look on your local Tucows might turn something up.<br>
<br>
Commercial packages I know have LPD servers include Hummingbird Exceed, Metascybe Kite, J. River Ice.Ten, and X-Win Pro. Searches on your fave search engine should give links to these :)<br>
<br>
HTH.

If you're working with an HP printer HP JetAdmin provides for TCP/IP printing from Win95/98. Epson also has a TCP/IP solution for their network printers. Check with the manufacturer of your printer. Then just set up the local printer directed to the network device and share it.<br>
<br>
In our case the network setup from HP was straight forward. The epson setup took a little more care.<br>
<br>
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back