Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp ip number limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lin73

Programmer
Feb 17, 2006
SE
Is there a limit on how many tcp ip numbers I can add for a Network adapter? The reason i ask is beacuse I have added 7 ip numbersto one adapter, but when I add another one I cannot ping that ip number, I can ping all the others but not that one. I can also see that the ip number is there through ipconfig.

Interesting. I've never "pushed the limit" like that, but I suppose it could be possible. Is there a reason that you'd need that many alternate IP addresses on an adapter? Since they all have to be on the same subnet there's really very few cases where you'd need more than one anyway.

Hi

Problem solved, it was a switch that held the ip number to a mac adress, after a restart it worked fine.

Don't know what the limit is, but I've seen plenty of webservers with probably about 50 of ip numbers on them.

This faq on technet suggests you can have thousands.

Does Web server performance degrade when Web sites use host headers instead of IP addresses?

A. The overhead for IIS to check a host header is negligible compared to the total cost of satisfying an HTTP request, even for a static file. Also, host headers scale better than IP addresses when you host thousands of Web sites on a server.

Yeah, host headers scale better because there is a shortage of publicly routable IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back