Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzwilson

Technical User
Jun 30, 2003
AU
I type in ipconfig
and i get:

Windows 98 IP Configuration
0 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway ...

1 Ethernet adapter :
Ip address ....

Why is my lan ethernet car have no ip?
I have specified an ip in the tcp/ip settings

I would remove your tcp/ip protocol for that adapter and re-add it. Then I would do the same and remove the adapter as well. If it still does not work I would try a different NIC. If you've hardcoded an IP, and it's still not saying you have one there could be real problems.

One more thing to check, make sure you are looking at the right adapter. If you only have one, it would be strange to have 2 different adapters showing, unless one was part of a PPPoE package.

-Crasty

I would try to setup a static ip say 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 just for testing. Ping 192.168.1.1 or 127.0.0.1 <<< LOOPBACK >>>. see if you get a reply.
winipcfg for win98, if this fails then reinstall your TCP/IP stack.

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNA, Network+
[americanflag]

I have 2 ethernet cards. One for the cable modemn and other for the lan, which is connected to my bro's computer.
The card for the lan doesn't show up when i run winipcfg.
It only shows PPP adapter and the ethernet card for net.
I can see the card alright in device manager, there doesn't seem to be any problems.
I can see the other computer on network neighborhood but i can't ping to my other computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back