Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someonehere

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
DE
Hi there, I have a problem with the computer, it says, the TCP/IP protocol is not "property" installed, I've checked the network properties, I've reinstaled the network card, and the error remains, what can I do, I can access the other computers of the workgroup, but I can't be online, what can I do?

Thanks in advance,
Someone here

Is it your wish to access the internet through the network with connection sharing? What NIC (card) are you using?

Because a network can work on more than 1 protocol, TCP/IP can be incorrectly setup but can still run on NETBEUI or IPX/SPX.

Goto Start|Run and type winipcfg in the box. This will help to isolate any potential TCP/IP problem areas.

Look for and select your ethernet card in the drop down box.

The next three items of info should be filled in. If so, make sure that the subnet mask matches the subnet mask on another computer in the network.

The IP addresses must contain the same pattern for each non-zero number found in the subnet mask (e.g.: if the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, then all machines on the network must have all the first 3 numbers the same). The remaining numbers must be unique (not duplicated)for each machine.

The IP addresses used must not be addresses that might conflict with those on the internet. Try to use an IP address pattern, such as 192.168.x.x, which is guaranteed to be private to your network.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I've done what you say about the winipcfg, the problem is that the IP routing is disabled, the rest is fine, how can I enable this dialog box, or what should I do?

Thanks again,
Someone here.

[You Said]:

[computer says the TCP/IP protocol is not "properly" installed][IP routing is disabled]

Where or how does this message appear? Winipcfg (more info button)?

A LAN network does not need IP routing enabled. Why do you think this needs to be enabled? My DSL (high speed)connection doesn't need this enabled. But DSL modem needs one NIC and the network needs a separate NIC on the same machine.

[I can access the other computers of the workgroup]

You are satisfied that TCP/IP is working properly on your network?

You might want to remove any other protocols listed in network properties to make sure.

Does NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD list each and every computer on your network including the machine making the inquiry?

[I can't be online, what can I do?]

This seems to be your main issue. Using winipcfg, can you select PPP Adapter (if using a dialup connection) in the drop down box (only on computer with modem attached)? Do you see an adapter address shown? Can the machine in question access the internet?

Again can you be more specific as to what you are trying to do? Are you trying to share one modem to the whole network for access to the Internet?

Right click network neighborhood properties select tcp/ip remove reboot do the same again except add it back in.It is under protocols.

I have the same problem but winipcfg says
IP Config.
fatal error
cannot read ip configuration.
so then what do i do?
thanks

Try a manageable google search (82 hits) similar to the following:

winipcfg fatal error 98 -netware -novell

(NOTE: a minus in front of keywords excludes those words and articles containing them)

(NOTE: adding the keyword 'kb' would narrow the focus to find mention of all relevant MS knowledge base articles - 19 hits)

A sample of the results obtained and some areas to consider might be:

Unload/reload/update client software.
Completely uninstall all network components, then reinstall.

Winsock software may need to be upgraded.

It may be Winsock! If so, Goto x:\windows and see if you have a directory named Ws2bakup. If you do, run ws2bakup.bat. If you see errors while running the batch file, restart in DOS mode and retry. If you don't have ws2bakup directory, download it from MS's site. This should take care of your problems. {success feedback noted]

Maybe a bad WSOCK32.dll in the Windows\system folder. You will want to check to make sure it's 40k for Windows 98 and located in the windows\system folder (if it's Windows 95, it should be 65k)

See if you have a C:\Windows\Hosts file. If you do, rename it to something else and reboot.

Duplicate or incorrect WSOCK32.DLL files may cause problems. See this article for how to check and fix:

How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP/IP Files

Other possible diagnostic procedures besides WINIPCFG may help to narrow down specific points or issues to investigate (execute such programs at the DOS prompt):

(1) Scan for the existence of altered files (SFC.EXE - system file integrity check for WIN98).

(2) The PING command returns an error code
(PING Loopback) and/or (PING <IP address>).

Additionally, the following search parameter strategy reveals those usernet posts where some degree of success was indicated by users having similar problems by their use of the words fixed, solved, or resolved.

GOOGLE: Searched English messages for:

winipcfg fatal error fixed OR solved OR resolved -netware -novell Results 1 - 38

Please provided feedback if any of this helps to lead to a successful clarification or resolution of your problem. Otherwise all of this becomes a great waste of time to subsequent readers and posters, since the relevant issues appear to remain cloudy, and unresolved or unresolveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back