Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP is locked and I cant get in! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreikun

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
Hello. I have Mac OS 8.5 and recently went into the TCP/IP setting (located in the Control Panel) and fumbled around a bit with the settings. Since I didnt get the results I was expecting, I tried to open the TCP/IP file to restore the previous settings and am unable to open it. I get an error message which states:

The file TCP/IP Preferences could not be opened because it is locked or being used by another application

I tried closing all the other running applications, I tried looking into the Help Menu for info, however, I am still not able to get into the TCP/IP file.

I would like to get back into this file. Please help me, I dont know what to do next. Thanks in advance!!

Can you go into the System Folder > Preferences and delete the current TCP/IP prefs file. Then try opening the TCP/IP control panel again?

And make sure you have Open Transport extension on.

Let me know what happens after that.

Max

Hey Max, thanks a bunch!! I was able to open the TCP/IP Preference file again. Your help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back