Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP Ethernet Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecm28

Technical User
May 16, 2005
US
I need to setup my pc to print through ethernet to a hp 5000n laserjet. I need to run it to my DLink DE-809TC hub which has two macs connected to it. I have both macs printing no problem but the pc does not seem to find the printer through the hub. I have printed out a config page that has a ip, subnet and dhcp server. What do I need to do in order for the pc to print to the laserjet.

Also, i did a ping of the ip from the printer config page and it came back with no loss, so i am assuming it is going to the hub okay, but just does not know hot to print to the printer.

You need to create a TCP/IP "port" on your PC, just like an LPT1: port would be. Quick steps (for XP):

Start -> Settings -> Printers, click Add New Printer.

Select local, and TURN OFF the "automatically detect..." option.

At the bottom of the next screen, click on Create a New Port, and select Standard TCP/IP. Type in the IP address of the printer, click Next.

It will pause for a few seconds, then continue and prompt you to install a printer driver. You can use the CD or download it from the HP site. You just want a driver, not the whole hullabaloo software install.

This is the cleanest way to set this up, and avoids a bunch of HPJetdirect nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back