Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp/ip conflicts with ipx/spx

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuEeNyGuRl

Technical User
Dec 15, 2001
US
Sorry if this post is long but I want give you guys all the info, so you guys can hopefully help me! :)

Situation: I wanted to connect the HP LaserJet 4050n directly to the network. I had two options for the printer to communicate with the computers, tcp/ip and ipx/spx. The company doesn't have a DHCP server, so each computer has their own external ip. So I couldn't give the printer some internal lan ip ( example: 192.168.1.122) and I had no idea that company had extra external ips. So I configured the printer to use the ipx/spx protocol to communicate with the computers.

Problem: Since ipx/spx is a very old protocoal and is used by Novelle and NetWare, there was a communication conflict with all the computers using the network printer because the computers use tcp/ip. Yea, so some kind of collision with ipx/spx and tcp/ip which caused computers' ( the ones using that printer ) internet connection to stop.

How did I try to solve the problem: I deleted the ipx/spx communication port and printer/printer drivers on each computer. Reinstalled the network stack and network card on each computer. And Deleted any ipx/spx component in the network configuration. I disabled the ipx/spx on the printer and changed it to tcp/ip.

Other info: I can ping computers on the network, the subnet, gateway and DNS servers.

So how can I get the internet connection on the computers to work again? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back