Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp/ip and netbeui

Status
Not open for further replies.

zestril5

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
I have a customer with two XP Pro computers as a wired lan using netbeui. They must use netbeui because of a program they share. For purposes of explanation I'll call one computer the "main". This is the computer with the specialized program on it. The other, or "secondary" computer, must have the "main' computer mapped and they must use netbeui. If not the speed of the "secondary" computer becomes almost unusable.
I now have to hook up DSL service to the "secondary" computer and want to share it with the "main" for the internet connection. I am assuming that the DSL connection between the 2 will have to be tcp/ip.
Can both protocols run at the same time? WIll I have a problem setting this up? Must I use ICS for the DSL connection?
I'm hoping to get some insight before starting. I've hooked up at least 30 or 40 networks from using just 2 win'98 machines to a win 2000 Professional Server with 20 other machines but I'm not technically savy as to how or why they work and only ever used one protocol or the other.

ICS is compatible with Netbui.
You might have to change the properties sheet for both the computer to act as ICS "Host" and the computer to act as an ICS client, but the introduction of TCP/IP in the mix matters not at all to Netbui.

As this is a Windows XP Forum, I suggest you read the following article about using Netbui under XP in a mixed setting of operating systems:
And Steve Winograd's article about using ICS under XP is as clear a guide as I can imagine:
If there are any issues, please post again.

Thanks for the information. I feel a little more confident that I'll be able to get it working with minimal problems.

It would be remiss of me if I did not add: you really should not need Netbui in the situation you described. What you need is to be certain that Netbios, and in particular, the control structure for Netbios Control Blocks is available for locking and inter-PC communications. This should be available without loading the Netbui protocol stack. Under the properties sheet for each computer's network adapter, TCP/IP, Properties, Advanced, DNS tab be certain to "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP" on both or all computers.

If this works, as I suspect it will, you will save a great deal of overhead by not using the additional Netbui protocal stack.

I am a fan of Netbui, and feel it gets too short a shrift from the XP community. In an mixed OS setting, I feel it is even an "elegant" solution. But XP-to-XP, even with the requirements of a software package requiring Netbios control blocking, it is likely unecessary.

But, without a doubt, it is a heck of a lot easier to add it and forget about the issue. The performance penalty is quite small, if not completely ignorable.

Bill

I'll try it and see if it works with the program that gives them grief. I'll let you know.

I work for a ISP that dose DSL, If your DSL modum is external and has a ENET out put I would go from a cheap DSL/Cable Router with 3 or 4 port build in switch.
DSL/Cable routers are $40 to $100 dollors these days and with the DHCP of the router and the NAT Fire wall thay are a good buy and easy to hockup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back