Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCM vs. TPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmoran

MIS
Jul 8, 2002
US
Now that TCM's days are numbered, how many of you have looked at Tivoli Provisioning Manager (TPM) and what are your impressions?

I have looked at it quite a bit and I would say that I am fairly impressed by it. This of course depends on the size of the company and what you are looking to do.

It would also depend if you were an existing TCM customer. Existing TCM customers might find the product to be too much of a change given work they have put into their TCM environments. There is also some things that are not in TPM that TCM people may be using such as the mobile console and distribution priorities (although these items are high on the list for IBM to add)

For new customers, TPM in many ways is a vast improvement. The web interface alone is something that TCM never had. The learning curve for TPM is also much faster (from a user perspective).

Is there anything specific you are looking for? Even some details about your environment might help.

Martin Carnegie
GulfBreeze Software - GulfBreeze Blog -

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We are an existing TCM shop that is evaluating TPM. While there are some very nice features, because TPM is a radical departure from the TCM line, there are things that are missing. We've put a good deal of development into integrating TCM with our change control process, which includes Rational ( another IBM aquisition ). TPM does not support the same command line interface as TCM, so much of our automation does not carry over.
We're also concerned about how well TPM will scale. We support a relatively large installation, and from the looks of it, TPM is more suitable for small to medium sites.
I'd really be curious to know if any larger customers have adopted TPM.

Well there is a command line interface. It is done by using the SOAP called which in turn execute the workflows. Not exactly the same, but in some ways way more could be done.

Currently it is reported that it can scale to about 130,000 endpoints. They are working on more as there is one customer that I have worked with that needs it to go to 300,000 endpoints.

From what I know of there are quite a few people with TPM in test right now. There is a fix pack that should be coming out in a couple days that should hopefully address a few more issues ;)

If you would like, we could talk offline about this further. You can email me at martin dot carnegie at gulfsoft dot com.

Martin Carnegie
GulfBreeze Software - GulfBreeze Blog -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back