Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tasks that cannot pass a weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensmaigaard

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2007
DK
Hi,

I am scheduling a project with some workshops requiring travel. There is one day of travel before and after each workshop, and I have chosen to add the travel to the duration of the workshop for simplicity. This means that the total length of a workshop (to avoid weekend travel) is 3 to 5 days.

The catch is, of course, that such a workshop cannot span a weekend - ie. it can't be 4 days from Thursday to Tuesday, but should be either Monday to Thursday or Tuesday to Friday.

Is it somehow possible to add such a constraint while retaining MS Project's ability to schedule freely when leveling resources?

Thanks a lot,

Jens

There is no "built-in" constraint process that I know of.

I've seen an approach that will accomplish what you intend but, frankly, it is a lot of work with little benefit.

I think you will have to consider scheduling these tasks to be something similar to manual resource levelling ... it's up to the PM (you! [grin]) to adjust the start/finish as appropriate.

You could use a column (Flag1, for example) as an indicator for these tasks. If you do that then you could do an AutoFilter on that column and then manually inspect (and adjust, where necessary) the start dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back