Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taskbar - Removal of items on startup 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

officework13

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
The problem that i am having is that i have installed programs on my computer and now everytime i start my computer they appear in the lower right hand corner by the clock. I have discovered how to remove some of them but others i can not determine how to remove them. I would like to remove these as they take up resources and my computer takes forever to startup.

Hi,

Go into Explorer and check your startup folder.

Good Luck

What operating system are you using? What software are you trying to remove from the status bar?

Thank you rry2k that solved my problem.

however, when i tried to solve this same problem with my managers computer it only worked for 1 of the programs. I then noticed that these additional programs are not in the same block as the clock but rather beside them in their own section. He has windows 98. I do not know if these are just sitting there or if they all are open and running.

if you have any imput i appreciate it.

Hopefully it's just the quick launch bar. Try and find an unoccupied space on the Taskbar abd right click on it. There should be an option for Toolbars and Quick Launch is probably checked. The QL bar is for ease of launching an app. If you don't like it, just uncheck it by selecting it when you follow the steps above.

you can disable items to statup by using msconfig.

click the [start] button
click [run...]
type msconfig then [ok]

a window will appear with several tabs, choose "startup"

uncheck those items you don't want executed while loading windows.

ATTENTION! Be sure you know what you're doing. My advise: if you are not sure if you can disable a startup item --> check the internet, search for the filename in combination whit startup. I.e. startup ctfmon.exe. There are lots of sites and newsgroups which will explain if the specific item can be disabled without problems.

thank you all for your assistance.
i have solved all of the problems that our office had.

1 items was in the start folder
the other was simply the quick lauch task bar.

once again thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back