Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Scheduler Service is not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

thud105g

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
I am running windows 7 on dual i5 processors with 8 MB of memory. After boot In got a message Seagate Dashboard Service is not Started (that is my external backup hard drive).
Recently I tried to run disk defragmenter . When I tried to run it from the start menu I got

"Task Scheduler Service is not running"

When tried to start the Task Service Scheduler either by cmd or pull down menu I got error msg

Remote computer was not found

Reading Data Failed

Additional symptoms

Cursor freezes, changes appearance (goes from pointer to circle to vertical bar to horizontal bar to invisible)

Boot takes longer than usual and PC freezes for 10 sec to 4 min randomly[/b]

You could try looking for a problem in this location. C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\. Follow the suggestions in here for troubleshooting Task Scheduler.

Task Scheduler (Win7) error message

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

See this recommendation in the following post, it might help you too?

Check that the registry dword Start value is set to 2, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Schedule

disk defragmenter cannot start becuase the task scheduler service is not running. Start the task scheduler service and try again.

Windows 7 - Repair Install

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Most new machines come with a recovery partition allowing you to go back to the time of purchase, you will have to check your user guides for instructions. Choosing that path requires you to save all valuable data first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back