Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Manager item

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburnham

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
US
Can any one tell me what Lgekgjbf.exe is running in the task manager. I am trying to fix a computer that has been infested by spyware and such. I ran Ad-aware as the Admin and it found and eliminated over 1500 objects. However, when I log in as the user the issues still exist to include this file/program using all of the processor time. I have done a search on the internet for this file as I have done in the past with no results. What is it and how can I stop it.

David

Search for it on your machine, copy it to CD or floppy and then delete the original. Many files from infections use self generating random names.

Follow the suggestions here as it will assist you in cleaning the machine.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Thanks,

I am working on it now. I have found the file on this machine twice. The first is a .pf file located in c:\windows\prefetch\LGEKGJBF.EXE-2ACC0001.pf

The second is located in the windows/system32 directory

What is the Prefetch folder?

It is a good practice to remove all entries from the prefetch folder on a monthly basis. These files are built by the system as a regular part of operation.. prefetch/temp and even pagefile.sys can all be deleted.. cleaning out your temp folders is also a good idea.. I go into Ctrl Panel system and set the user and system tmp/temp folders to something I can see i.e. C:\temp c:\tmp and then clean them as required.. You'd be amazed at how much disk space you can recover!

Good for space, but if space isn't an issue (and let's face it, who needs 180Gb for word processing!) then there is no benefit in deleting these files and can lead to some programs loading times to be increased. (Although on a modern system you wouldn't really notice it)

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back