Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Manager Greyed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hainley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
Good day,

My task manager is greyed out, I can not run Regedit, and I can not access Computer Management. All of this started today, with no changes to the system!

Anyhow, AdAware is identifying two registry keys...one being 'unintentional lockout of task manager' and the other being 'unintentional lockout of regedit'.....AdAware identifies the keys, but doesn't seem to delete them when I tell it to. Since I can't get into Regedit, I can't manually delete them.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
John

Hi,

Are you logged in as THE Administrator, or as a user belonging to the administrators group?

If the later, try logging in as the Administrator. Also if you type Regedit in a DOS box what response do you receive?

Greg.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Malware is the problem.

Read all of:
In particular, use the Doug Knox utility to create .COM versions of regedit and Task Manager.

If you can use IE, do at least the Trend Micro and Panda scans:
One possible quick fix is to use the trialware version of my anti-trojan/antispyware program of the month by Giant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back