Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Manager Button Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTops

MIS
Sep 13, 2004
US
Hello,

I am a local administrator on a networked PC (Window XP Pro). When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, the normal dialogue box comes up but the Task Manager button is disabled. The same thing is true when I right click on the Task Bar...the context menu comes up but the Task Manager option is greyed out. I've run several virus scans and found nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks,
T-Tops

Thanks,
T-Tops

hi there
don't worry easy to solve
open the app (C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpedit.msc)
now follow me :
administrative templates -> system - > Ctrl+Alt+Del Options -> remove task manager

set the option to (Not Configured) or to (Disabled)
vbnetskywalker

vbnetskywalker,

Thank you very much...that worked. The only strange thing to me was that it was already set to "Not Configured" and I changed it to "Disabled". That's when I got the Task Manager button back. Any idea why?

Thanks,
T-Tops

It sounds like Registry corruption or similar, which was fixed when you made the changes that "vbnetskywalker" mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back