Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task Bar Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamondbell

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
CA
Hi guys!! alright so it's a friday and i really don't feel like working but when it's the boss's computer i guess you got to do what you got to do!! anyways

I am having a problem with the Task Bar randomly will just stop working. you can still see the task bar but it's grey, looking like it crashed or something. the start menu stops responding and hiding and unhiding make no difference to the operations of the task bar. The operating system still runs as normaly but in order to use the task bar you must reset the computer.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks for the help!

Steve

Update the AV program with the latest files, and do a virus search.
Also, remove all spyware with BOTH Ad-aware and Spybot.

And which O/S are you using?

windows 2k Pro is the OS we are using. AV is all up to date. As for SpyWare and Ad-Ware i am pretty certain there is none on it but i will double check.

Anything else?

Thanks!

Steve

What Service Pack are you running? You may want to try going to SP4 or reinstalling SP4 if you are already there.

If none of the previous suggestions fix things, then see if doing a 'Last known good configuration' helps.

I realize I am jumping in a little late, but spotted this when I was working on this very problem. I, too, cleared the system of ads, spyware, etc. I checked the event viewer and noted that a plug-in for my AV program, Sophos, had repeat entries. Just for grins I uninstalled Sophos, and, like magic, my task bar came back, and everything else that had stop responding recovered. I have my fingers crossed. Will post further if this turns out not to be the solution.
r/

i have almost the same problem but on wifes laptop running xp the task bar is grey and after about 10 min it disappers and the only way to get back is to reboot. ran spybot and ad-aware with no hits. other users of comp dont have this problem.

Here's a suggestion I've never tried but might work.

Try registering Shell32.dll. To do this do a search for shell32.dll, which should be in \winnt\system32, and right click. Go to open with. When prompted for the program to open with, click browes and browes to \winnt\system32 and open with regsvr32.exe.

Restart and test it out

Let me know how this works.

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back